How To Insert and Remove Your Contact Lenses
Check that your soft or disposable contact lens is right side out.
How to insert your contact lenses
- Make sure that your fingers are clean and dry. (Dry fingers facilitate handling as soft contact lenses tend to stick to wet fingers).
- Remove your lens from the storage case.
- It is a good idea to get in the habit of always working with the same lens first, the right or left, in order to avoid mix-ups.
- Place the lens on the tip of your index finger.
- Using the middle finger of your other hand, pull and hold your upper lid so that you cannot blink.
- Pull down your lower eyelid, using the middle finger of your inserting hand.
- Look up and place the lens gently on the lower white part of your eye.
- Slowly release your eyelid and close your eye for a moment.
- Blink several times to centre the lens on your eye.
- Sometimes, small dust particles trapped behind the lens during its placement can cause discomfort. To remove dust, slide the lens off and then back onto the front of your eye.
- Insert the other lens following the same procedure.
How to remove your contact lenses
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Make sure that your lens is centred correctly on your eye.
- Looking up, pull down your lower eyelid with the middle finger of your inserting hand.
- Bring your index finger close to your eye until you touch the lower edge of the lens.
- Slide the lens down to the lower white part of your eye.
- Gently squeeze the lens between your thumb and index finger and remove it from your eye.
- Follow the lens care procedures recommended by your eye care practitioner.
- Remove the other lens and follow the same procedure.